To transfer music to an iPod from your computer, you will need to download the free iTunes software from Apple.com. With iTunes, you may download music files, or rip them from CDs and add them to your library. Once they are in your library, it is a simple task to transfer or sync those files to your iPod.
You will need
- Latest version if iTunes relevant to your computer operating system
- Firewire or Apple USB cord
- Log on to the iTunes page on the Apple site,
- Click on the Download iTunes icon.
- Follow the instructions on your screen.
Syncing or transferring media files to your iPod
- Connect iPod to your computer using an Apple iPod firewire or USB cord and open iTunes.
- Select iPod in the Devices section on the left side of the iTunes window.
- In the main iTunes browser window, select the Music tab.
- Select the check box labelled “Sync Music.”
- Your iPod will need to have enough capacity to sync the content that you have selected from your library.
- To sync podcasts, select the Podcast tab and choose to sync all podcasts or selected ones.
- Click Apply and iTunes will begin syncing the audio content you’ve selected to your iPod.
- The iTunes LCD will display the sync progress and notify you when the iPod sync is complete.
- To disconnect your iPod, select it under devices and click the eject icon.
- Allow iTunes to automatically update all or selected songs and playlists. With this option, iTunes automatically copies the songs and playlists you selected to your iPod when it is connected to the computer. This option can be selected by accessing the Music tab of the iPod settings.
- Remember that if the number of songs in the library exceeds the capacity of the iPod, Apple’s AutoFill feature within iTunes will select the number of media in the library that can fit on the iPod, as chosen by the user, or at random.
- Disconnect USB from iPod or computer without first ejecting it.